Budget: 3,1 M€
Deadline: 30 June 2021
eSSIF-Lab is a project funded by the Horizon 2020 programme of the European Union and aims at advancing the broad uptake of Self-Sovereign Identities (SSI) as a next generation, open and trusted digital identity solution for faster and safer electronic transactions via the Internet and in real life.
This Infrastructure-oriented open call will distribute up to 3,1 M€ among innovators to:
● provide scalable and interoperable open source SSI components for eSSIFLab Framework (i.e. that fit in the eSSIF Lab vision and functional architecture), and
● participate in an ecosystem with other participants in eSSIF-Lab for the purpose of:
o improving this vision, architecture, specifications etc.,
o ensure the various kinds of interoperability (at the technical and process levels)
o addressing each other’s issues, including those originating from beneficiaries of the business-oriented calls.
Open source SSI components developed as a result of this open call must be applicable in a later stage by other innovators in eSSIF-Lab in areas such as HealthTech, e-Government, Education or by proposals in the generic track of Open Disruptive Innovation. Hence, applicants shall be willing and able to work in an agile way with lots of communication and interaction with other participants in the eSSIFLab ecosystem, together developing the eSSIF Lab Framework and testing the interoperability of delivered components.
Development of these components should be completed within a 9-month period and the applicant will receive up to 155,000€ equity-free funding.
This open call will stay open until 30th June 2021, at 13:00 (Brussels time), but there will be two additional intermediate deadlines for evaluation on:
● 29th June 2020, at 13:00 (Brussels time) and
● 4th January 2021, at 13:00 (Brussels time).
Proposals for applications are also expected to further develop, improve and address issues that are raised regarding the eSSIF-Lab SSI vision, architecture, specifications, documentation etc., so as to enable participants selected under the Business-oriented Open Calls of eSSIF-Lab to easily use the eSSIF-Lab infrastructural components.
Proposed solutions shall:
● Meet the “SSI” Concept (i.e. technologies that allow individuals to control their electronic identities and to guard their privacy)
● Be ready to be applied at a later stage in areas such as HealthTech, e-Government, Education or by proposals in the generic track of Open Disruptive Innovation.
Proposals will be submitted in a one-step process via the online application form which will include:
● Project proposal, divided into:
- Basic contact information
- Legal information
- Project description
- Excellence (Scored)
- Impact (Scored)
- Implementation (Scored)
- Transversal criteria (Scored)
● Statistical section,
● Informed consent form – confirmation that the applicant is not in the cases explained in the exclusion criteria and absence of conflict of interest (Compulsory), and
● Processing of personal data – legal requirement related to the processing of the personal data of the Applicants in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation, EU 2016/679 (Compulsory).
Applicants will also be checked for a minimum quality according to the following 3 criteria:
1. Have a relevant past performance in developing and running identity solution or related components
2. Embrace the broad vision of interoperable self-sovereign identity (as reflected in the in the
“How is your solution fitting in SSI Concept?”
3. Be willing to interact with other eSSIF-Lab participants to further concretize that vision